Do you dread taking your selfies ? Do you hate looking at yourself in the mirror everyday ? Do you wear turtle necks (high neck tops) or scarf all the time ? If your answer is yes, that means double chin is bothering you a lot !!
A sagging skin under the chin is very unpleasant to deal with. It can make you feel old or unattractive. Have you ever wondered what causes your face to sag and looks like you have another chin ? Well, I am here to answer all these queries.
MAIN CAUSES OF DOUBLE CHIN
As you grow older, muscles lose its strength, skin loses its elasticity and gravity takes a toll on your facial muscles and jawline, causing a droopy chin, sagging jawline and loose skin under the chin called as turkey neck or double chin.
Just like the colour of your eyes or hair, hereditary factors could be the cause of double chin. If several members of your family carry double chin, then chances are that your condition is caused by genetics.
Having excess weight is the most common cause for double chin. People who are not obese but leading unhealthy lifestyle , having a fatty diet and don’t exercise at all are prone to develop double chin. If overweight is the main cause for your double chin, then it is easy to get rid of it by following certain methods.
When it comes to appearance, people are ready to go under the knife to get rid of their double chin. This surgery or chin liposuction is effective but it never comes without risks. It is only a quick fix and until and unless you follow a healthy lifestyle, it is most likely to come back again. Apart from this, it is highly expensive too. There are variety of pocket-friendly and painless procedures also available.
Check out few EXERCISES for battling a double chin…
- Start with your head and neck in a relaxed position.
- Tilt your head backward until the chin points upward to the ceiling.
- Push your chin forward. You will feel a strong pull all along the jawline and front of the neck.
- Hold this position for the count of 10 seconds and then relax.
- Stand or sit with an erect spine.
- Gently turn your head to one side until your chin touches your right shoulder. You should be looking to one side.
- Now slowly roll your head downwards until your chin is resting in the centre of your chest.
- Gently lift your head back up until your chin touches the left shoulder and you should be looking to the other side.
- Aim to perform this full neck roll about 10-15 times.
It not only stretches and tones the muscles of your jaw, throat and neck but also reduces tension from your shoulder. Work slowly to minimize the risk of twisting a neck muscle.
Platysma is the muscle that allows us to create and control our lower face expressions. Double chin appears when fat deposits accumulate in the platysma muscle area, causing the chin region to sag.
- Sit or stand with an erect spine.
- Pull your lips back against your teeth and turn the corners of your mouth downward.
- Open your mouth slightly and activate the muscles of your jaw. Keep your lips pressed firmly against your teeth and the corners of your mouth turned down.
- Tendons on your neck should stand out. Wiggle your lower jaw up and down 5-10 times.
TENNIS BALL EXERCISE
As the name suggests, it requires a tennis ball.
- Grab a tennis ball, place it against your neck and lower your jaw on top to trap it.
- Press your chin against the ball tightly for few seconds then slightly release.
- Repeat 10 times.
STICK OUT TONGUE
- Open your mouth as wide as you can.
- Stick your tongue out as far as you can and hold it there for the count of 10 seconds.
- Relax and repeat.
After this, you may feel your chin and neck muscles get tightened.
- With the back of your hand, gently and slowly slap underneath your chin.
- When slapping, start gently and build up speed gradually.
- Do this for a couple of minutes, each time, 2 or 3 times a day.
- Lie straight on the bed with face towards the ceiling. Let the neck be at the edge of the bed.
- Now lift the head towards the chest without using hands.
- Hold the head in this position for 5-10 seconds.
- Slowly bring it back to the starting position, without letting it drop.
ADVICE : – Not recommended for those who experiences DIZZINESS.
It is the best exercise if you want a chiseled jawline.
- Simulate the act of chewing for some minutes.
- If simulating seems tough, try chewing sugar-free gum.
- It will allow you to exercise your jaw without worrying about the extra calories that could add to your turkey neck.
You can do these exercises anywhere, anytime while sitting or standing but make sure to keep your spine erect.
- Do massage your neck and chin regions with herbal extracts and products( that have skin firming properties) especially at night before bed. You can try cocoa butter, wheat germ oil, glycerine etc. While massaging, you should only refer upward strokes and must avoid downward or circular strokes to prevent skin sagging and wrinkles.
- Make sure to follow a healthy and balanced diet.
- Avoid aerated drinks and drinks with caffeine content.
- Say no to saturated and trans-fats.
- If you are overweight, weight loss can be the key to losing a double chin.
- Practicing good posture is a great way to get rid of a double chin. Slouching can not only increases double chin but it will make it permanent. Sitting up straight, makes it less noticeable.
Follow all the above exercises and tips and SAY GOODBYE TO YOUR DOUBLE CHIN FOREVER !!